Tips for Obtaining your Medical Records
To receive a copy of your medical records, call your physician's office and inquire as to their procedures. If you are experiencing difficulty in receiving your records, the following steps are recommended:
- Request your records in person at the physician's office.
- Be certain to sign a release form and request a copy of the form for your own records.
- Document the date you requested the records and the name of the individual with whom you spoke.
- Inquire as to what the charges will be and when the records will be available for pick-up.
- Allow adequate time to receive your records. Ten working days is acceptable.
- If you have difficulty in receiving your records, sent a letter certified, return receipt requested, and marked personal and confidential to the physician. The letter should state the date you requested the records and a copy of the release form.
- Keep a copy of your records for your own files
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT MEDICAL RECORDS